- It’s an inexpensive activity. Book clubs are a great way to get out and spend time with other people, without spending a lot of money. It doesn’t have to cost anything at all, if you get the book from your local library. It’s also a way to stay connected with your already close friends or relatives. If you want to get together with friends to go out just for fun, it is easy to let other things get in the way and let those dates fall by the wayside. However, if you took the time to read the book, you’re going to make it a priority to get together to discuss it.
- Reading is good for you. I know you already know this, but it bears repeating. Reading is healthy exercise for your brain and your body. According to many studies, reading actually strengthens the brain, builds vocabulary, increases empathy, helps you sleep better, prevents cognitive decline, reduces stress, and alleviates depression. Because all of these things are so good for you, it also contributes to a longer, healthier, and better life.
- You get to meet new people and make new friends. People need human interaction and conversation. We need to exchange ideas and connect with other people. However, this is not always easy to do. Especially lately! Talking about a book is a great way to engage and relate, and really get to know others. You’ve already got a topic and your opinion on that topic, so you’ve already got a great place to start.
- It pushes your boundaries, which, no matter how much you might fight it or fear it, is actually quite healthy. Pushing past your boundaries is where new ideas and creativity come to life. You are rarely learning anything new if you never leave your comfort zone. Reading a book you might never have picked up otherwise, is often a delightful surprise.
- It will give you a new appreciation for the book you just read. The discussion can, in fact, change your opinion of the book. It’s true, I’ve seen it happen any number of times and the reader is always appreciative of the new perspective.
- It’s fun!
Here are the current book clubs available at the library:
Book Chat, an adult book club, meets on the second Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m.
Novel Pleasures, an adult book club, meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 10:00 a.m.
Each of these clubs currently meet via zoom, but will meet in the library as soon as we are able.
Books and Beverages, a book club for adults under 40, meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. This club currently meets via zoom, but as soon as we are able, will meet at different locations around town to enjoy your favorite beverages while discussing the books.
If you are interested in joining a book club (or two!) just click on the links above.
Hope to see you there!